What nowadays is a glamorous port, which receives visitors and boats from all over Europe, used to be a refuge for small fishing boats, a modest facility that offered protection against the winds, essentially due to the natural characteristics of the coast.
Today, the Marina of Cala Ratjada has 85 moorings in the direct management part and another 130 managed by the Cala Ratjada Yacht Club.
But in its beginnings it only had a small dock, a cobbled ramp for the boatyard and the natural shelter of the coast.
In 1922 it is classified as a port of refuge and 10 years later its building begins. But for domestic problems at first and then because of the Civil War, the project stops until 1940 when the construction works are resumed. But the difficulties would not end there: the great storm of November 1945 wreaked havoc and the project is not completed until 1949.
The improvements come in the 60s and in 1964 the expansion of the port begins with the new vertical breakwater built below the breakwater which has already been there. In addition, the defense structures are improved due to the constant thunderstorms that hit the port. In 1975 it is founded the yacht club, and with its foundation, new riverside docks with floating pontoons are built. The history of the port is closely related to the town of Cala Ratjada’s.
Its growth has led to the growth of the population and its improvements has raised the living standards in the area. Not only in its sports and tourism aspects but in its commercial facet too.
The entrepreneurial spirit of those first inhabitants of the zone beats vigorously in every street of Cala Ratjada because its port, and also its heart, has become stronger than ever.